Tuesday 20 September 2016

Is it ever okay to joke about someones height?



Hello Everyone!


Today's post is a wee bit different! Its debate time!

I am a petite woman. I am 5ft 2 and proud, But something happened recently that made me think...'Is it okay to make a joke about a persons height? are we just being too sensitive? . Now is your chance to speak up. I'd love to know your thoughts!

Last week I went to a music gig to support a friend who was singing in a theatre. Before the gig started, My friends and I grabbed a drink and we were casually waiting and chatting away. In the midst of  discussion, a theatre worker approached us and she started engaging in our conversation....a couple of minutes went by and I was then greeted by the lady to which she giggled and said
'Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you down there'.

Now at the time I wasn't really thinking - to be honest it may have been the glass of red wine that had gone to my head, but afterwards it made me re-evaluate the situation. Was that acceptable? Is it okay to comment on a persons stature straight from the bat?

As a kid, My mum always said 'don't worry hen, all good things come in small packages'. Which has stuck with me to this day and I still find comfort in it. And yes that's all fair and well when it comes to gold or diamonds but as women, we are constantly judged for the way we look. Our hair, our makeup, body type, skin type, skin colour, dress size, the list goes on. In a social situation, I would never have thought of someone ever making a comment on my height! Maybe my dodgy contour or telling me if my lipstick is smeared all over my face but height?. As if we need anything else to worry about!
  
Growing up, I've always been 'Wee Paige' and was always told 'aww your so sweet, your so cute'. Now that's great when your 13 years old wearing blue eyeshadow thinking your the bees knees wearing your mums lipstick, but when does it become all a bit much?
I am almost 23, I'm still young and some may say, 'Its a compliment, you should take it!' which yes, most of the time I do and I don't mind if it comes from my friends and family, but strangers? 

should it really affect the way we feel? Are we being patronised or are we being a bit uptight? Let me know in the comments below!


Lots of Love

Paige xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment